August PSK31 Expedition (APE) Award Requirements
1. The applicant for the APE Award must be a member of the PODXS Ø7Ø Club and have a current license to operate on the HF amateur bands at the time the portable operation takes place.
1. An APE Award portable expedition site must be at least 20 statute miles (32 km) from the home QTH of the primary applicant.
2. The applicant is responsible for obtaining permission to legally operate a portable expedition from the owner(s) of the site or legal authorities holding jurisdiction over the site. The Applicant shall also be responsible for any and all costs incurred in the operation of the portable expedition.
1. The applicant is personally required to take part in the portable expedition. This includes the transportation, setup, operation, breakdown and return of all equipment to its place of origin.
2. The applicant is free to include any other personnel he wishes to take part in the expedition, either licensed or unlicensed. The applicant may, for example, wish to combine a portable expedition with a family vacation and include those family members who help as members of the expeditionary party.
3. All communications-related equipment must be transported to the portable site by the members of the expeditionary party, including radios, computers, cabling, antennas and power sources. The use of any preexisting amateur radio equipment at the portable site is strictly prohibited.
4. Requirement number three (3) above does not preclude the use of man-made or natural structures already existing at the portable site, including shelter, antenna supports and native power grids.
5. The use of rental equipment for use in the portable expedition is permitted, provided that said rental equipment is NOT procured within 20 statute miles (32 km) of the portable site and is returned to its place of rental at the end of the operation. Items may also be purchased at the portable site for use by the expeditionary party, provided that major items such as radio equipment, power sources, etc. are taken away at the conclusion of the operation and not left at the site.
Ø7Ø Club Requirements
1. The applicant must announce his/her intentions to operate a portable PSK31 expedition to the Ø7Ø Club membership at least 2 weeks in advance of the operation. This announcement must contain the particulars of the portable expedition, including location, IOTA, USI or other award-related information, expected start of on-the-air activity, bands to be worked, names/callsigns of other members of the expedition, contact information, QSL information, and any other information deemed pertinent. This announcement may be made by the applicant via the Ø7Ø Club email reflector or by direct communication (either written or electronic) to the APE Award Manager listed below, who will then pass the information on to the rest of the Ø7Ø Club membership. While it is the intent of this requirement to offer advance publicity of expeditions, this particular requirement may be waived if circumstances suddenly permit a quick expedition and the applicant catches the APE Award Manager in good cheer.
2. To be a valid portable expedion for the APE Award, the operation must: a. Take place during the month of August (UTC). b. Make at least 20 two-way PSK31 contacts on the HF amateur bands (160M thru 6M) from the portable site. Contacts made while traveling to or from the portable site will not be counted towards this requirement.
3. Upon completion of the expedition, the applicant must provide in a timely manner a log of stations worked and a short, informal written narrative of the expedition, to be submitted to the APE Award Manager. The narrative should include a site description, equipment used, number and names of personnel participating in the expeditionary party, and any unusual or noteworthy incidents that occurred during the expedition. Some photos from the expedition would be nice, too!
5. Upon review of the log and written narrative by the APE Award Manager, the applicant shall receive an APE Award certificate for their participation. All Ø7Ø Club members whose callsigns appear in the expedion log shall receive an official Ø7Ø Club "attaboy".
6. All applications are subject to the aproval (or not) of the APE Award Manager. Applications determined inconsistent with the spirit of this award or the philosphy of the Penn-Ohio DX Society (PODXS) Ø7Ø Club may be rejected. The Penn-Ohio DX Society (PODXS) and the Ø7Ø Club reserve the right to waive certain requirements for this award as is deemed necessary.